Monday, January 17, 2011

AKA quilt - Borders pt. 2

It has been a crazy week. Work has depressed my spirit a lot, and when I come home from work, I don't have the creative juices to work on any of my projects. But this weekend, I decided that maybe finishing the AKA quilt top would inject a little excitement in my otherwise sad and angry week.


Option three is the one I decided to go with. Charmain liked it the best and since this quilt is for her, I went with it. Here is a reminder of option three.





I decided that I was going to try to do mitered borders on this quilt. I've never done that before. Usually, I just let the two ends meet naturally and let that be that. Look closely at the polka dot material. The piece on the left meets the piece on the right and there is a straight seam.




It worked well on that quilt. Since this one has three borders, I thought a mitered corner might look better. In a mitered corner, the seam is diagonal and brings the fabrics to a point.



The pink border is the only one that is not mitered. See the seam near the bottom right hand corner of the picture? I learned that I like the look of mitered corners much better, but they are a little more work. For this quilt, I think it was worth it.

Here it is! The finished quilt top! I spread it out on my guest bed so that you could get a better look. It's a full sized mattress. It's a little bigger than I had pictured in my mind, but I really like the size. Glad I didn't go with the dimensions in my original sketch. I had the center rectangle at almost two yards. This thing would've been huge!!!!






Right now, I'm figuring out how much fabric I'll need for the back of the quilt. Stay tuned!

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Really, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kisha,
    I got your email about the SOMD quilt guild. I live down in southern Maryland, which would be really far away for you, although I will add your email to a distribution list. So far I've heard from 3 people and I agree, I would LOVE to meet up with like minded quilters. There is a Washington DC MQG, which might be closer for you. Although, if you could take a boat it would be really close to ride over to St. Mary's county:) Even if you are kind of far away, it would be good to have you on an email list in case we ever have an event you might want to make the drive for.
    Thanks for contacting me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie Lee,
      I'm sorry I'm just seeing your comments. I need to figure out how to have Blogger alert me to new comments.
      Yes, please add me to your list and keep me posted on your progress over there.
      DC is two hours away for me, so while it's closer that St. Mary's, it's still not very convienent.
      Thanks for checking out my blog!

      Delete
  3. PS. The mitred corners look fantastic! I've never done that before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I learned to do it by watching a Youtube video. :)

      Delete