Monday, January 10, 2011

AKA quilt in process - The borders, part 1

Here are the main fabrics for the borders of my AKA quilt. The solids are Kona cottons in petal and chartreuse. The pink and green fabric is designed by Heather Bailey and is part of her "Nicey Jane" collection. It is called "Pocketbook". The colors are a perfect match for the sorority's colors. I was so excited when it arrived in the mail from Above All Fabrics.

I've been wrestling with how large this quilt is going to be. I'm glad I went with my gut. The center rectangle is about 36 by 45 inches. The first border is pink and is about five inches wide. Here it is after the first border was added. I spread it out on my guest bed which is a full mattress.


Here's the beginning of "1908", the year the sorority was founded. I like the way the green pops against the pale pink.


But I'm a little disappointed that the pink outlining is barely noticeable. But what was I to expect when I put pink on pink, right? lol



Now, I am trying to decide about the rest of the borders. Here are my three ideas.

Option 1 has just a green border followed by the pink and green fabric.



Option 2 adds a skinny cream border between the pink and the green fabrics.


Option 3 has a skinny white fabric between the green and the pink and green fabric.


Which is your favorite option? Let me hear from you in the comments section!

1 comment: