Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Twitter Trials and Tribulations

I was not an immediate fan of email. It started to hit big while I was in college and I remember thinking, “This only works if the other person has an email address too. Why wouldn’t I just send a letter? Everyone I know has a mailing address.” Now everyone I know has email and can check it from their phones. Who woulda thunk it?

I have long been resistant to social media. Facebook took off while I was in law school and I remember thinking, “That seems like a colossal waste of time! Why bother?” Five years later, I feel disconnected from the world if I’m not checking in on Facebook at least twice a day.

Twitter does not connect with me at all. Why would anyone have a need to broadcast their life events to the entire world? At least with Facebook, I can control who sees the post about what I had for lunch. I really don’t get it. Why do I care what some celebrity is doing on the set of their new music video?

Lately, my friend, Deb, has been trying to make me understand why Twitter is important. Based on her explanation, I now see Twitter as a huge electronic cocktail party where folks come to meet, mix, and mingle with other folks that share their interests. (I'm not a big fan of cocktail parties in real life.) I now see how it can be useful in broadening one’s circle, or spreading one’s message, or building one’s business. With the latter in mind, I surrendered to Deb and Twitter. I asked Deb to do what needed to be done so that CIL (Covered in Love) could have a Twitter presence. She did and we were up and running, or so we thought.

When I searched for myself, it said no one with my name existed on the site. Huh?! I just got confirmation that the account was confirmed. Why can't I be found? Ok, maybe I need to actually send out a tweet before anyone can find me. So I sent out my first tweet yesterday. But that didn’t help my name to be found when searched. Ugh!!! I tried to open a new account, but it wouldn’t let me have more than one account associated with my email address. Now what was I supposed to do? The whole purpose in having the Twitter presence is so that people can find me and hear what I have to say about quilting. Finally, I found that you can follow me on Twitter by going towww.twitter.com/imcoveredinlove. That will have to do for now until I figure out how to make myself appear in search results.

Now that you’ve heard about my Twitter trials and tribulations, I hope you’ll follow me so that my leap into the Twitter age will not have been in vain.

No comments:

Post a Comment