Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Scrappy bear

A few weeks ago, LMM found this bear while antiquing.


She intended for this to be her bear, but when Little Miss saw it, she claimed it as her own without any discussion.  I knew how excited LMM was about finding this bear and I was sure that she would want her bear back, so I made it my mission to create a fresh new scrappy bear for Little Miss that would make her forget about the antique bear.

I found Simplicity Crafts pattern 5461 and cut out all of the pieces in muslin to use as a foundation.

In trying to figure out how to make it scrappy, I decided that this bear would be more patchwork than scrappy because it was the easiest thing for me to accomplish with the tight and looming deadline of LM's birthday.

I picked fabrics in her favorite colors,


cut them into 3.5 inch strips and sewed them together,


turned the piece so that the seams ran horizontal and then cut 3.5 inch strips,


and ended up with strips that looked like this.


Then I sewed the patchwork strips down onto the muslin foundation.


I trimmed the excess and then started piecing the bear together.


The directions weren't entirely clear to me, so I just intuitively pieced things together...but couldn't figure out what to do about the ears.


A friend of mine that understands how to follow patterns explained to me what I had done wrong, and after ripping out a lot of stitches, taking the head off, and then deconstructing the head, I was able to put the ears on and finish the bear.  I am totally happy with the results.




I especially love his feet.

I hope Little Miss loves this bear enough to be able to return the old bear to her mom...although now I just realized that I've created a playmate for the old bear...hmmm...LMM, good luck!  lol!

Hopefully LMM will share pictures of LM with the bear that I can share with you all next week.

2 comments: