Thursday, June 26, 2014

I Design Quilts In My Sleep...Well, Sort Of.

Even though I haven't finished a quilt meant to be a gift for my godchild for Christmas last year (and I am more than embarrassed about that), I am starting a new quilt that will be gifted to my nephew this Christmas.  Why would I do such a thing, you ask?  Well, I'm taking a trip next week, and I need something small enough to take with me.  My godchild's quilt is rather large and would require it's own carry-on bag.  My nephew's quilt will be 36x50 and will feature some embroidery.  I'll be able to take the one row that will have the embroidery and then piece it to the rest of the quilt top later.


This will be the quilt with his name on it that my sister wanted.  Each of the letters in his name will be inside of a three inch square and the negative space in the block will be filled with french knots.  I know I said I would probably not do another french knot project, but I loved the way it looked so much, I just have to do it again.

Originally, the quilt was going to be navy blue and orange.  I ordered the fabric, the ebroidery floss, and perle cotton for the hand quilting in those colors.  Then late last night, during the space between awake and asleep, I decided that I would rather use a turquoisey, sea foam green color with the navy blue.  I ordered the embroidery floss and perle cotton.  When I woke up this morning, I thought that I had dreamed it, until I saw the emailed receipt proving that I had indeed made the purchase.

Semiconscious design choices and purchases.  I think I need to move my phone further away from the bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment