Friday, March 1, 2013

QuiltCon: Unexpected Encounter

QuiltCon was full of interesting and fun people.  I met a woman from Canada who had been hit by a car while riding her bicycle just a few months ago.  She made the journey to QuiltCon alone and fought through some painful days of walking and sitting just to enjoy the experience of this inaugural event.  I can't remember her name and I regret not getting her contact information.  (If any of you out there know of whom I'm speaking, please forward this post to her.  Thanks!)

I was also very impressed by Casey York.  Casey and I were in a lot of the same lectures and I had occasion to hear her conversations as groups of us stood around talking in between lectures.  There's definitely something special about Casey and I believe she's one to watch.

Then there was Amanda of The Cozy Pumpkin.  I met her in the lecture hall on Saturday.  She made my insides giggle.  She was so full of energy and made everything seem bright and shiny.  It was Amanda that encouraged me to spread the word about my blog and said that she would be bugging me via email if I wasn't posting on a regular basis.  I sure hope I don't disappoint Miss Amanda.  :)

Now, on to one of the biggest and most unexpected highlights of my trip.  I met Jacquie Gering of Tallgrass Prairie Studio

Jacquie's blog was one of the first that I found when I started quilting.  Her quilt entitled "Tin Roof" was part of the inspiration for the design of my "Affirmation".  Jacquie was also the first blogger that actually responded to a question I asked.  When I contacted her back then, I had no idea that she was one of the giants of the industry.  I just knew that I liked her work.  She was so thoughtful and encouraging in her response to me.  It's something I'll never forget.

Jacquie was the speaker right before Denyse Schmidt's keynote address.  She spoke for an hour and made us cry no less than four times.  She spoke so lovingly of her family and how they influence her work.  She was real and spoke in terms that I could relate to.  She impressed my soul.

I was thrilled that I was able to have a brief conversation with her after her speech to tell her how meaningful her response to me was back then.  She was gracious and kind and allowed me to snap a few pictures.  If you're interested in hearing Jacquie's speech, you can watched it for free on Craftsy.

The experience of QuiltCon has left an indelible mark on me.  I am hoping that what I gained while there will last until the next convention in two years.

My next (and possibly last) QuiltCon post will be about the quilts that were on display that inspired me.

Hope you all have a fabulous weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, thank you for sending this my way!!! :) You are such a bright spirit!!! And I told my roomies how grand I thought you were!!!!!! I really do hope you'll continue to blog. I have added you to my blog roll, so...yeah...if you don't keep it up I'll start hounding you. ;) HA! You have too much to share with the world, and I'm really looking forward to reading all about it! HUGS!

    -Amanda-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Amanda...! :D You are such a sweetie! You certainly have inspired me to start blogging again. It's easy now that I have something to talk about. It'll be once I'm in between projects or I hit a quilting lull that my perseverance will be tested.
      Please keep in touch!

      Delete
  2. blog post (check!) good job! it was great to meet you too and thanks so much for the kind words. always remember we all make quilts...none of us is more special than the other. quilt on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacquie,
      Thanks so much for commenting. I was hoping you'd see this. I will keep your words of wisdom in mind as I try to stay connected with the reasons why I quilt.

      Delete


  3. How to Get an Ex Back
    My boyfriend broke up with me its been 4 days now. We have been dating sense he was 18 and I was 22. She has just know turned 21. We have been dating for 3 years and 2 and half months. Through the years we have had a really good relationship it was serious and we really wanted to be with each other forever. Of course we had are arguments but nothing too bad. I know that these past 3 months I had taken him for granted thinking he would always be there but was wrong. he told me he didn’t want to be in a relationship that he wanted to take time with himself. But he was still kissin me and hugging me and telling me that he will always love me and I hold a special place in her heart. I realized that right before he done this that I needed to get my act together but I guess was too late. I really love this boy there is something different about him he is the love of my life and I want us to have a better relationship then ever before and I wouldn’t ever take him for granted ever again I really do want to marry this boy and he wanted that too but idk how to get him back with out being clingy and desperate. Obviously he needs his space because he cheated on me and this time I really need help to bring him back and marry me, one day i was searching online and i saw a good testimony of how Dr Joy a real Africa spell caster help to restored back broken marriage, getting ex back, fix broken relationship. so i copy his email via??? joylovespell@gmail.com and told him all my problems so he ask me not to worry that my problem are solve that with 2 days, i will get him back which i believe in and put all my hope on and to my greatest notice, after the spell my boyfriend who broke up with me gave me a call to apology and feel so sorry for what he did so my dear ones that is how i got my boyfriend back with the help of Dr joy the real spell caster so also email him now on via joylovespell@gmail.com.you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2347088404185.

    ReplyDelete